Customer Engagement: Buyer Personas
What is a Buyer Persona?
According to HubSpot, a buyer persona is “a semi-fictional representation of your ideal customer based on market research and real data about your existing customers”.
By understanding what your Buyer Persona wants to accomplish, or what (s)he is interested in, you can create the kind of content on your own website that will help these Buyer Personas (who represent real customers) to achieve their own goals. If they get the answers to their questions or the means to achieve their goals on your website, they will remain as existing customers and may even refer new customers to your website.
How to Create a Buyer Persona
The first step is to gather relevant information for your Persona. Information such as demographics, income, occupation, interests, location and level of education can be utilised. You can gather this information through customer surveys or interviews with customers and prospective clients.
There is a myriad of templates available on the Internet which you can utilise to complete the information you gather and to generate the Buyer Persona. HubSpot has one, and templates can also be obtained from the following websites:
The second step is to define the goals of the Buyer Persona. According to Tony Zambito there “are underlying goals driving people to make the choices and decisions, which are before them. It involves the use of a goal-directed methodology to understand buyers within this context.” For your business, you therefore must determine what the underlying goals of your business’ Buyer Persona is and what drives them to make their own choices and decisions. Questions you may ask your Buyer Persona might be:
- What’s important to the them and to their Business?
- What’s their target market?
- Where do they get the information for their Business?
- How do they intend to get customers for their Business?
- What are their personal goals?
- Why do they need your product(s)?
Based on their answers, you can determine their goals.
The third step is to give them names. This may sound a bit wacky, but it makes the person(s) real in your own mind. Once you have all the information you can complete one of the Templates (or create your own!) mentioned above.
How to Use the Information of your Buyer Persona?
With your Buyer Persona(s) in mind you can:
- Create the ideal Marketing Strategy for your business.
- “Pitch” your business to him/ her and set out (on your website and through your Social Media and other Digital Marketing Campaigns), how your business can meet the needs and goals of your ideal customer.
- Create the Ultimate Digital Marketing Funnel (which will be covered in the next post); and
- Discover where the best places (websites and social media platforms) are to find these customers and what to “pitch” to them.
The ultimate goal of any Company is to grow their Business. You can in our view only do that with an effective Digital Marketing Strategy. The first step of such a strategy should always be to create a picture of your Ideal Customer (Buyer Persona). Through this process you will be able reach your customers online and effectively engage them. Properly engaged Customers are happy customers and a happy customer grow the reputation of your business and brings in that all important new business.
Contact Us for more Information and for our assistance to grow your own Customer Base.
Latest posts by Kim Bock (see all)
- Digital Marketing Strategy - 19th October 2017
- Customer Engagement: The Marketing Funnel - 30th September 2017
- Connect with your Customer in a Meaningful Way - 17th September 2017
- DISCOVER HOW TO BOOST LEADS OR SALES - 3rd September 2017
- Can Blogging lift your website above the mundane? - 28th August 2015